With the revelation and admission from Joshua Duggar that he had molested 4 of his sisters and one family babysitter, I choose to come from a fair place and let the Duggar parents tell their story. They deserved that much. Defendants gets the right to face their accuser in court and this is the court of public opinion, far more vicious and unjust than any courtroom in the United States. Megyn Kelly of Fox News scored the interview and promised to be fair and ask all the tough questions of them. It was also revealed that Jill Duggar Dillard and Jessa Duggar Seewald, two of Joshua Duggar’s victims will speak out in defense of their family and how they handled the situation. The reason for the interviews were obvious, to salvage whatever is left of their tattered reputations, which is directly correlated to their income. Since the news of Joshua Duggar’s molestations broke, the Duggar family have been dismissed from many of their public appearances and their show 19 Kids and Counting…have been removed from the TV Schedule. It’s not been officially canceled by TLC yet, but TLC is coming under a lot of pressure to cancel the show and all future Duggar related endeavors all together. There were talks that Jill Duggar Dillard and Jessa Duggar Seewald will get spinoff shows detailing their newly married lives as their reputations are untainted. But all that are just rumors. This Megyn Kelly interview is to test the waters for that theory to see if it’s feasible to do spinoff shows with the two newly married Duggar girls.
The interview was a PR disaster. Whoever they hired as their PR consultant, they need to ask for their money back. It not only didn’t have the desired results, which is to restore the Duggar good name. It did the opposite. Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar came across as ignorant, unrepentant, intransigent on their very inflexible views about Christianity (which only a very small percentage of Americans practice their denomination) and bigoted as Michelle Duggar reaffirmed her view that transgendered females should not be able to use the women’s bathrooms because they are really men and can prey on children, totally missing the irony that she had a predator in her home. The portion where the 2 Duggar girls were interviewed went as well as it could have gone, they were the victims after all and what they say is far more credible than what their parents have to say about the situation. Many critics felt that the Duggar girls weren’t totally honest about how they felt as they were brainwashed by their parents into ‘forgiving’ their older brother. I don’t take this view, if they say they’ve forgiven him, they who’s to say differently. They are both married and Jill Duggar Dillard just had a baby in April and Jessa Duggar Seewald is expecting now, so they’ve move forward with their lives have left that chapter behind. As they no longer reside in the Duggar home and probably never will again and Joshua Duggar has already moved out of the home long ago, so for all intents and purposes, it is behind them.
All the Duggars interviewed said that the monster that is the ‘media’ has an agenda against their family as their views are often the butt of ridicule and jokes. And that the mainstream media just don’t like them and what their views represent. They are partially right but not for the reasons they think and I will offer my free services and break it down for them:
- Starting with Michelle Duggar, who believes that a transgendered female should not use the ladies public restroom as they pose a risk to children, implying that transgendered people are sexual deviants and are harmful to children simply by being transgender, the irony aside, Michelle Duggar has probably never met a transgendered person (male or female), do not know anything about the psychological toll of being a closeted transgender person and really has no clue about the LGBT community at large besides her own prejudices. This is where the hypocrisy comes in, Mr. & Mrs. Duggar (they were confused about the ‘hypocrisy’ label).
- Their general disdain for homosexuals, adulterers, people who engage in premarital sex, anyone who doesn’t observe their brand of puritanical Christianity, the problem isn’t their beliefs, it’s the open condemnation of people who don’t conform and keeping their children away from people who live differently than they, thus creating a warped reality for their children.
- The public or the ‘evil’ mainstream media is unforgiving of your family or do not take your words at face value is not because that your son Joshua molested his sisters and a babysitter when he was a teen, it’s because you routinely rail against people who do not share the same strict puritanical Christian beliefs as you. Your children, well Jessa Duggar Seewald at least likes to post ‘angry’ Facebook posts about how ‘we’ (anyone who’s do not observe their brand of Christianity) as sinners and here is a charming example of one of her Facebook Posts, it’s been abridged but the message is the same: One of the most quoted verses from the Bible is Matthew 7:1 “Judge not!” Whenever someone speaks out against something that God calls sin, “Don’t judge!” can be heard coming from a thousand lips. People don’t like to have other people disapprove of the way they’re choosing to live their life.“I will speak to you a hard truth. I do not write this because I think that it will bring me popularity. It won’t. But it is Truth from the Word of God: the Bible.
To not tell people this is to hide the truth from them. To keep silent is to not care for their eternal destiny! I care about you, and this is why I am speaking out!
In this world, people have seared their consciences. The standard of what is “ok” or “permissible” in our society today, hardly reflects God’s standard.
People are content to live on in lying, cursing, pride, anger, bitterness, disrespecting of parents, lust, pornography, fornication, adultery, and other sexual sins– and if anyone tries to confront them, their attitude and response is, “You live your life, I’ll live mine. Don’t you tell me what to do! Only God can judge me!”
They don’t even realize what they’re saying. God’s judgement isn’t something to be taken lightly! It should scare you! Man’s “judgement” is a 1000x lighter… usually just a voicing of disapproval. But when unbelieving, sinful men die and stand before God, He justly condemns them to hell.”
What a charming little missive, and what does she know of ‘God’s standard’, this all out judgmental condemnation from a 21 year old leaves much to be desired. This post reads like a modern version of ‘Sinners in the Angry Hands of God’ by colonial theologian Jonathan Edwards, except this is written by a 21 year old hopped up on Bible steroids. People don’t like to be preached to, especially not by a 21 year old who’s never attended traditional school, never been to college, hasn’t lived a day of life on her own until she got married and has very little knowledge on how the rest of us live, how the rest of us must live, she is a victim of her brother’s molestation but according to her interview with Megyn Kelly, it was ‘dealt with’, they’ve all ‘moved on’ and all is and was ‘forgiven’ until the evil media drudged it all up again. Her husband Ben Seewald, younger than Jessa by 2 years, went one step further to criticize Catholicism though he knows nothing about the Catholic religion. He criticized the catholic dogma of salvation by faith and good works, he said that the ‘good works’ part was unsubstantiated by the Bible. In case he’s unfamiliar, the Catholic religion places great importance on charity, giving back, serving the Lord as part of a person’s spiritual salvation on top of Faith. Those two things go hand in hand, one cannot exist without the other. Someone should tell these kids that they shouldn’t speak about subjects they are not familiar with, it makes you look ignorant.
- All the Duggars need to dig their noses out of their Bibles and join the real world since they choose to be on reality TV and document their lives and have been financially rewarded for doing so. They cannot have it both ways, choosing to be willfully ignorant of the real (big bad evil) world and getting upset when that reality bites them in the ass. The Bible teaches many life lessons if applied properly to today’s world is a great source of guidance, wisdom and comfort. This is not to diss the messages of the Bible, far from it. The Bible holds many enlightenments, guidance and inspirations to guide us through any time period, Biblical times and modern times, but unfortunately, the Duggar family failed to adapt the teachings of the Bible to modern times. They chose the puritanical interpretation of the Bible, which is fine but then don’t get upset when you dirty little secrets comes out of the closet.
- Jim Bob’s claim that what happened with Joshua Duggar and the 5 girls he molested is a common occurrence in families, affirmed by the person he spoke with in his church. Um NO ~ Mr. Duggar, it is absolutely not a normal occurrence to have sons molest their sisters and family friends. This behavior is not normal nor is it acceptable ever. And your ‘safeguard’ solution which is to separate the boys and girls living quarters, locking the girl’s bedroom doors at night, banning the playing of hide and seek and banning older boys from babysitting their little sisters, what you have done is effectively branded all of your sons as child molesters because you are treating your other sons like child molesters when they’ve done nothing to indicate that. You have also made your daughters unnecessarily fearful of their brothers, locking their bedroom door at night so their brothers won’t come in and feel them up, you are already assuming that they will. You have inadvertently made Joshua Duggar’s behavior a ‘normal’ behavior in developing boys, again, no it’s not normal. The interest in girls is normal, but because of their lack of contact with girls their own age that are not their sisters, cousins and other relatives (as girls have equal interest in boys during puberty) and lack of proper sex education at home and what happens to you and your body during puberty, you have restricted his sexual curiosity to his sisters. I am not excusing Joshua Duggar’s behavior but because of your excessive strictness, even restricting what websites your children can visit, he and his brothers have no where to get their questions answered about puberty and their blossoming interest in girls because in your naive ignorant worldview, that’s for marriage only. If they have sexual thoughts, you tell them to pray it away. Jim Bob Duggar, you were 14 once, why don’t try to think back while you were 14 and what you thought about all day long, it’s not pretty but do try and then have some empathy for your sons.
- Most people can understand why Mr. and Mrs. Duggar chose to handle the initial confessions of Joshua Duggar molesting his sisters ‘in-house’, as when you alert the police and local authorities, social services will have no choice but to investigate the claims and it could be traumatic for the whole family and in severe cases may result in the family being broken apart. Every mother and father understands that and no one wants that unless the abuse is violent serious and ongoing. And also, no one one wants to tarnish the name of their children before they’ve even had a chance to grow up and reform themselves. All of this is understandable, but when you say that you’ve spoken to your church leaders and this ‘happens a lot in families’ thereby excusing yourself as to why you didn’t alert authorities immediately is insulting the intelligence of your fans and public. Especially when these incidents happened on multiple occasions, even after his first stern talking to. You felt so worried that you sent him away to reform himself. Again, if this was a one time thing and you didn’t alert the authorities and it never happened again, then that’s a different story, but that’s not what happened here.
- When you were asked why you signed up for a reality show when you had skeletons in your closet, you maintained that you had nothing to hide as the situation had been ‘dealt with’ and everyone involved have moved on and Joshua himself is now married and a father to 3 children with a fourth on the way and so none of this matters anymore. I am not sure if you are being deliberately naive or willfully blind to how the real world works and how serious Joshua’s actions were. You Duggars may think that we are all ungodly, impure and immoral but there are certain personal transgressions that are unforgivable in the fame game, which you’ve signed up your family to be part of and child molestation is one of them. There are few crimes more unforgivable than that as child molestation is usually a compulsion which the perpetrator cannot control and most child molesters are repeat offenders and more importantly, abusing of a minor is considered a heinous act even if the perpetrator is a minor himself, it doesn’t make it ok. So, Jim Bob Duggar repeating over and over again that Joshua was just 14 at the time and was a minor, so it’s not that bad.
- Lastly, you built your reputation being a Christian family which abides by a puritanical set of rules that you’ve invented but claims it was from the Bible. You set very strict boundaries between boys and girls and they are discouraged from any physical contact except hand holding until marriage, even no kissing is allowed. And all of that is fine and of your own free will to do as you please in a free country, but you staked your reputation on wholesome purity and while raising a large family. You take your church and the Bible very seriously and you try your best to live by the Word of God as you interpret them, so if you thought you can explain away your son Joshua Duggar’s acts of molestation as teenaged curiosity gone awry, you are in for a rude awakening. There is no ‘agenda’ against your family. You may be the butt of jokes for your beliefs. oversized family and funny hairdos (Michelle Duggar) but there’s no agenda out to ‘get’ your family. You did it all to yourselves when you put your family on TV knowing there was a skeleton this big in your closet.
Megyn Kelly promising to be ‘fair and balanced’ asking the ‘tough’ questions as to how this could have happened under their own roof, was a major disappointment. She failed abysmally. She was not tough on the Duggars as she failed to address the most obvious question, their parenting skills and their ability to parent 19 children effectively and giving each child what they need. What happened here with Joshua Duggar is a lapse in parental supervision and basic parenting. From what we know, they’ve no outside help in terms of nannies or tutors so Jim Bob and Michelle created a ‘buddy system’ where the older kids takes care of the younger kids while they go off procreating more little Duggars. Their parenting ability and the capability to effectively parent this many children was never called into question.
The Duggar gravy train is over, it should be over. If TLC knows what’s good for them, they will cancel the show as soon as possible and not have any programming to do with the Duggars for the near future.l